Friday, October 9, 2026

The Start of Color #SkywatchFriday

I visited a local park on Wednesday to see the entries in the annual Halloween Scarecrow contest.  On the way there, I saw some trees that were turning, but the best is yet to come. 

These skies with puffy clouds and blue will be increasingly uncommon as the month progresses.  We've already had some gloomy days recently.  Gloom is the color of winter and late fall skies here.

In the meantime, I'm enjoying the color as I see it here and there.

It will be a while longer until we hit peak color.

As we walked along this pond, I viewed what I think is the Hickory Tussock Moth caterpillar (Lophocampa caryae).  They are common in the fall where I live in the Southern Tier of New York. 

Speaking of the scarecrows, I'll be featuring some of them from time to time on my blog.  I normally post on Sundays, Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays.   

Joining Yogi and other skywatchers on Fridays for #SkywatchFriday.
 

12 comments:

  1. Enjoy your blue skies while you can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your deep blue skies with the clouds and the color you found on the trees already. We are getting "precolor" in our trees. You are a few weeks ahead of us I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the yellow trees in your photos and can't wait for "full color" to come.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My maple tree is just starting to change color. I should take a picture, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty skies and the promise of fall colors in your near future!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the skies. That caterpillar is cute.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seeing trees and the fall colors! I miss them since we live in a very desert climate.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, that's right, it's scarecrow season. I can't wait to see this year's entries.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The blue, blue skies are so lovely at this time of year and such a welcome sight. It is a beautiful season.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Our skies have been a particular shade of blue that I always think of as "autumn blue" and decorated by white puffy clouds this week. Just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love fall foliage. Although, since I'm from New England, I'm a bit of a leaf-peeper snob. I deride the color of the Hampton Roads area as going from "green" to "brown" to "dead." It's really not that bad, though. It's just better a few hundred miles up the road.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Your comments mean a lot to me. Due to a temporary situation, your comments may not post for a day or more-I appreciate your patience.I reserve the right to delete comments if they express hate or profanity, are spam, or contain content not suitable to a family blog.