Monday, September 28, 2026

A Pirate's Life? #MusicMovesMe

Ahoy there, mateys! It's Monday and it's time for music!

Who are the Music Moves Me bloggers?  We are a group of music loving bloggers who blog about music each Sunday or Monday (or even later in the week). If you have music to share with us, you are most welcome to join!  We are brought to you by Cathy of Curious as a Cathy, Stacy of Stacy's Random Thoughts, Marie (Xmas Dolly), and myself, plus other music loving bloggers.  

Our theme this week is: Sep 28th Recently, was International Talk Like a Pirate Day, a fun modern holiday.  It would be fun to see where the seven seas take each of you as you share with us songs relating to pirates.   

Aye.  Let's run that again through the Pirate Speak Translator:

Our theme this here week be: Sept 28th recently, been international talk like a gentleman o' fortune day, a fun modern 'oliday. It would be fun to see where the seven seas take each o' ye as ye share with us songs relatin' to gentlemen o' fortune 

Well..it be time to turn to, of all things, Disney.
 
First, a couple of tunes from the Pirates of the Caribbean movies. As pirates would say: If ye like instrumentals, the followin' two songs be fer ye.

He's A Pirate (Pirates of the Caribbean theme song).  

Davy Jones (Epic Version). 

Finally, one more Disney song, As we non-pirates would say, Yo, Ho, Yo Ho! A pirate's life for me. This 1967 song was written for the opening of the Pirates of the Caribbean ride at Disneyland.  If you recognize a certain deep male voice, it is that of Thurl Ravenscroft, who voiced Tony the Tiger in Kellogg's commercials and was the deep voice of "You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch" in the famous cartoon.  

Now, let's move to some non-Disney songs.  

Fifteen Men on the Dead Man's Chest, from Great Master


2009's Alestorm and Keelhauled, part of what some call pirate metal. 

Last but definitely not least, the Dropkick Murphys and and the Celtic Punk anthem Shipping Up to Boston.  Fun fact, this originated as a five line lyric fragment written by Woody Guthrie which was expanded. Maybe not so much about pirates, as true maritime grit, but it's a great song.

Or, as pirates would say: It be a jolly song.  And that was a jolly theme.

And that's a wrap!

Join me again next week for another episode of Music Moves Me. 

7 comments:

  1. ...pirates have never been my thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the instruments on Keelhauled, I'm just not a fan of screaming on/off key.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great song choices for the theme, Alana! Thanks for the dance!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would not have picked up the vocals as that of Tony the Tiger voice over artist. I didn't know he was the voice also in You're A Mean One, Mr Grinch.

    Dropkick Murphy's song has a bit of a pirate feel to it. I enjoyed the instrumental part better than the vocals. I never tire of listening to the Pirates of the Caribbean theme. I loved the beginning of the Davy Jones song, sort of pretty and yet sad. I can't place this one from the movie, though. I'm sure it just slipped my mind. Excellent job! Thanks for sharing the dance floor with me, Alana. Have a boogietastic week! xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can only think of the songs in Muppet Treasure Island, with the late great Tim Curry!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't take the last one...I hate when they create that type of voice. Overall, great choices for the Pirates
    .

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great playlist. Especially the Disney stuff

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Your comments mean a lot to me. Due to a temporary situation, your comments may not post for a day or more-I appreciate your patience.I reserve the right to delete comments if they express hate or profanity, are spam, or contain content not suitable to a family blog.