Thursday, May 27, 2010

Adventures in Handicapped Travel

In July we are going to be taking my mother in law to a wedding on the Jersey Shore.

My mother in law needs some assistance physically; she walks with a cane.  it would have been helpful for her to have grab bars (for shower, toileting, etc.)

Our first adventure came in booking a motel room.  there was a block of rooms for the wedding.  However, when we attempted to book a room, we were told that a "wheelchair" room would not be available at the block rate.  We would have to pay a higher rate.  Nor could they guarantee that we would get a first floor room.  I am assuming this place had elevators but again....I have a feeling I had better get up to speed quickly on this type of thing.  We didn't need a wheelchair room per se, but I thought it would have features that would have made her stay easier.

Looks like I am going to have to learn a lot about this topic-quickly.  I've already contacted someone who used to be in the travel field to see if she can give me some direction.