Friday, September 11, 2026

The Sky Was So Blue

Permit me to concentrate today on a 25th anniversary.  So, if you are looking for my Skywatch Friday post, please click here.

25 years ago today I woke up and prepared to go to work.  My spouse was at home - he would be going to work around 12:30 pm.

It was supposed to be a beautiful mid September day with clear blue skies.

Now, 25 years later, I remember that day.  Everyone of my generation remembers that day. Residents of New York City and its surrounding communities remember.  Residents of the area around the Pentagon remember.  Residents of the area around Shanksville, Pennsylvania remember September 11, 2001.  The people of Gander, Newfoundland, remember that day, the day we've called "9/11" since that beautiful blue sky late summer morning.  Until it wasn't. 

Other countries remember dates of tragedy.  Here in the United States, we remember, even after 25 years.

According to the World Trade Center Health Program, some 9000 people have died from 9/11 related illnesses.

9/11 is still claiming victims from related illnesses today.

I've blogged about 9/11 every year since I've started to blog in 2009, and I will continue to do so as long as I continue to blog.

Here are some of my posts:

September 11 Reaches Adulthood

Yes, One Day We Will Forget

In New York City's 9/11 Memorial and Museum there is an art installation called Trying to Remember the Color of the Sky on that September Morning".  How can I not forget that blue sky?  

Finally, we are also called to remember the generosity of the people of Gander, Newfoundland (Canada) on September 11, 2001 after United States closed its airspace and airlines grounded their planes.  Some 7000 passengers and crew on 200 planes ended up landing in Gander International Airport, near a city of (then) about 10,000. people.  

The people of Gander quickly mobilized  to make the people stranded there when airlines grounded their flights feel welcome. 

 Food and clothing was donated. Schools were turned into dormitories.  A hockey rink provided refrigeration for donated food.  The people of the planes became known as the Plane People.

The people of Gander never asked for payment but the passengers and crew of one of the flights set up a scholarship fund for students in the Gander area.  The fund has grown to over one million dollars.

Tonight, the City of Binghamton, New York will host the LUMA festival, which features light projections onto buildings.  I won't be there in person, but I will be there in spirit, as light chases away the darkness.

25 years.

One of the alumni lost from my high school. 

If you read some of my more recent 9/11 posts you can see my concern that the generations unborn on 9/11 will not understand the significance of that day in U.S. and world history or the kindness of 9/12.

Let us never forget those affected.


4 comments:

  1. I was holding my 2nd baby on my lap while watching the tv. Even tho I was far away on the west coast, I'll never forget either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! What a beautiful tribute to 9/11 ~ thanks ~ Hugs ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's like Pearl Harbor and JFK. If you weren't born when it happened, as far as you were concerned, it had always been. Only my niece had been born in 2001. Now she's 25 and she has four younger brothers. Time passes. But we remember. And it's our job to let the younger generations know what it was to be there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We will never forget.
    People who were born after this happened don't really understand what it was like to either be there or watching it happen.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Your comments mean a lot to me. Due to a temporary situation, your comments may not post for a day or more-I appreciate your patience.I reserve the right to delete comments if they express hate or profanity, are spam, or contain content not suitable to a family blog.