It's Monday and it's time for music, and (sadly) another induction into Rock and Roll Heaven.
Seems like we are having inductions almost every week now, and this one is especially sad.
Who are the Music Moves Me bloggers? We are a group of music loving bloggers who blog about music each Sunday or Monday (or even later in the week). If you have music to share with us, you are most welcome to join! We are brought to you by Cathy of Curious as a Cathy, Stacy of Stacy's Random Thoughts, Marie (Xmas Dolly), and myself, plus other music loving bloggers.
Our theme this week is: It’s the end of the month, summer is drawing to an end unofficially. Share songs that make you think of the end of summer.
But I am going to go in another direction today (I'll save this theme until next week, hopefully).
Dolly Parton passed away on August 25 at the age of 80. I had blogged a short tribute to her on Wednesday, and it's time to feature some more of her music. Dolly Parton, in her lifetime, was inducted into both the Country Music Hall of Fame and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. This amazing woman first sang at the Grand Ole Opry (the longest running radio show there is) at age 13, in July of 1959. She was introduced by Johnny Cash as "a little girl from East Tennessee".
She was so loved that our national flag was lowered to half staff for the week following her death.
I'm devoting this entire post to her music. First off are a couple of songs familiar to many of us.
9 to 5, sung and written by Dolly Parton, who also starred in the movie of the same name. This song was used as the closing of the Grand Ole Opry's tribute Saturday to Dolly Parton.
From 1971, a deeply personal song, Coat of Many Colors, about her childhood. A duplicate coat made by Dolly's mother is on display at Dollywood, the theme park Dolly developed as a tribute to her East Tennessee roots.Next, a lesson rooted in Dolly's philosophy of life..
Better Get to Livin', from 2007, is a fan favorite although not considered one of her greatest songs.
My Tennessee Mountain Home, from 1972.One of the Music Moves Me bloggers, DrillerAA from Driller's Place, introduced us to this song last week. I am including it as another side to Dolly Parton, who was a deeply religious Christian and recorded a number of gospel songs. This is her cover of He's Alive, a song originally by Don Francisco. Dolly heard this song on the radio while traveling in 1989 and decided to record it.
Finally, I had to include a live performance of what was probably Dolly Parton's signature song, Jolene, perhaps because of the introduction.
And that's a wrap!
Join me again next week for another episode of Music Moves Me.
GMTA
ReplyDelete...she was BIGGER than life!!!
ReplyDeleteDolly often referred to her faith and Christian upbringing. That's something quite big in many rural mountain communities, which I can totally relate to. My grandpa was an old-timer preacher and so was my daddy. Being raised like this is powerful and creates strong roots of faith. Sometimes people will stray from what they were taught, but God stands on His promise and rills individuals back in at the appointed time. I'm thankful my stumbling was never so far off track that a swift kick to my backside got me in line again. Dolly will be missed. I hope her legacy carries on through those she inspired. Have a boogietastic week, Alana! xo
ReplyDeleteOh Dolly! Rest in peace, a wonderful kind, smart lady.
ReplyDeleteSo many about Dolly this week and that's great because she deserves it. One of the most genuine of souls.
ReplyDeleteI think my favorite memory of Dolly comes from the two Trio albums with Emmy Lou Harris and Lind Ronstadt. The first time I heard them, I was blown away. Unfortunately there one Dolly Parton, because this world could use a few more just like her. Very nice tribute post.
ReplyDeleteGreat songs. She will be missed.
ReplyDelete