Monday, October 5, 2026

Sass Jordan and #1 Hits of October 1976 #MusicMovesMe

It's Monday and it's time for music!

Who are the Music Moves Me bloggers?  We are a group of music loving bloggers who blog about music each Sunday or Monday (or even later in the week). If you have music to share with us, you are most welcome to join!  We are brought to you by Cathy of Curious as a Cathy, Stacy of Stacy's Random Thoughts, Marie (Xmas Dolly), and myself, plus other music loving bloggers.  

Our theme this week is: You Pick.

Before I want to dig into my theme for today I want to pay two tributes.  The first one isn't music related, but honors Italian actor Peppino Mazzullo, the voice behind the mouse puppet Topo Gigio, who died on September 30 at age 100.

I remember these skits on the Ed Sullivan show from back in my childhood.  A number of them are on YouTube.  Hope you enjoy this one.

Now, it's time for an induction into Rock and Roll Heaven.

A Canadian blogger I read, Debbie Doglady, reported the death of singer, songwriter, and former Canadian Idol judge Sass Jordan. Jordan passed away October 2 at the age of 63, surrounded by her family.  As of this writing the cause of death hadn't been revealed.
 
The name didn't sound familiar and, listening to her music, I was saddened I had not discovered her before her death because she had quite a voice.

Here are two of her hits. First, from 1992, Make You a Believer.
 

And, Tell Somebody.
 
I had preplanned the rest of this post, which features songs that hit number one on the Billboard charts in October, 1976.  Each week had a different number one song.  I'm still going to go with it.

 The first one, Play that Funky Music by Wild Cherry, I had on my blog recently but it brings back a number of memories and I'm going to play it again.  This was the #1 record of the first week of October, 1976.

Here are the others:

Week two:  A Fifth of Beethoven by Walter Murphy and the Big Apple Band.  This is part of the first movement of Beethoven's Fifth Symphony, disco style.

Week three, a novelty song:  Disco Duck by Rick Dees and His Cast of Idiots

The final week of October: If You Leave Me Now by Chicago

And that's a wrap!

Join me again next week for another episode of Music Moves Me. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting! Your comments mean a lot to me. Due to a temporary situation, your comments may not post for a day or more-I appreciate your patience.I reserve the right to delete comments if they express hate or profanity, are spam, or contain content not suitable to a family blog.