Monday, July 20, 2026

Hot Summer Music And Another Induction #MusicMovesMe

It's Monday and it's time for music!

Who are the Music Moves Me bloggers?  We are a group of music loving bloggers who blog about music each Sunday or Monday (or even later in the week). If you have music to share with us, you are most welcome to join!  We are brought to you by Cathy of Curious as a Cathy, Stacy of Stacy's Random Thoughts, Marie (Xmas Dolly), and myself, plus other music loving bloggers.  

Why not join us?  Our theme this week is "In ancient times, “Dog Days of Summer” was connected with bad luck, mad dog attacks, unexpected thunderstorms, heat, and drought.  These days gained the “Dog Days” name because they are connected with a star in the Canis Major (Greater Dog) star system known as Sirius. Nowadays, “Dog Days of Summer” is associated for summer’s long hot days. Based on these interesting tidbits use your imagination to find music that’ll make us howl on the dance floor!"

Summer always makes me think of several songs dating back from my New York City Childhood.  I've had them on my blog before but I hope you enjoy them as reruns.  But before I do, it's time for another induction into Rock and Roll Heaven.

Freddie "Boom Boom? Cannon died July 17 at the age of 89.   

I best knew him for his 1962 hit Palisades Park.  Palisades Amusement Park was a now-closed amusement park in New Jersey, which I went to several times growing up in New York City. They were famous for a huge salt water pool and their musical entertainment, which included famous Big Bands, and, in the rock era, the Four Seasons, Bill Haley & the Comets, the Jackson Five, Diana Ross & the Supremes and yes, Freddie Cannon .  The property is now occupied by high-rise condominiums but New Yorkers of my age fondly remember it. 

Nothing says "summer" like amusement parks for many people. 

N

His first hit was Tallahassee Lassie". 

And now, to our theme.

Summer in the City - a 1966 hit for The Lovin' Spoonful. 

Dancing in the Street - a 1964 hit for Martha and the Vandellas.

Two more, from the 1970s:


 Hot Summer Nights - Walter Egan, best known here for his 1978 hit Magnet and Steel. 

I almost didn't include this, as I'll bet others include it, but here's a song from the movie Grease, Summer Nights, sung by John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John.  This was a big hit in the summer of 1978.

Tell me more?  No, I'm fresh out of words. 

And that's a wrap!

Join me again next week for another episode of Music Moves Me. 

8 comments:

  1. These are all real 'summer songs' - sun and endless fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know the name Freddie "Boom Boom" Cannon, but I recognized the first song. He lived a long life. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family. RIP Boom Boom!

    I don't remember Walter Egan's "Hot Summer Night"...well, I don't think I do anyhow. Olivia Newton John, the voice of an angel...I just loved her music back in the day. Grease, "Summer Nights" is a fun pick! Although, it's terribly hot these summer days/nights are numbered and are fleeting.

    Have a boogietastic week, darlin' Alana! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great playlist. I had completely forgotten about Grease. Nicely played.

    ReplyDelete
  4. An excellent mix of summer songs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are fun summer songs. I love to dance to

    ReplyDelete
  6. Palisades Park brings back such great memories of those classic amusement park days, and it is sad to hear about Freddie Cannon passing. Getting to experience that massive saltwater pool and see those legendary bands in person must have been incredible when you were growing up. Your song lineup is the perfect soundtrack for those long, hot summer days, especially Summer in the City because it nails that urban heat vibe so perfectly. Dancing in the Street always gets everyone moving no matter how high the temperature climbs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. thecontemplativecat here. excellent music choices. I am humming.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Your comments mean a lot to me. Due to a temporary situation, your comments may not post for a day or more-I appreciate your patience.I reserve the right to delete comments if they express hate or profanity, are spam, or contain content not suitable to a family blog.