Welcome! It's hard to believe that we are already at August 15. Wasn't it just yesterday that crocus were peeking out of the ground?
But here we are.
I don't normally post anymore on Saturdays, but today is Garden Bloggers Bloom Day, hosted each 15th of the month by Carol at May Dreams Gardens. This will be the last year for this meme, and I want to thank Carol for the years she spent hosting this day when gardeners from all over the world would gather to show what was blooming in their homes and/or gardens.
In my zone 6a garden in the Southern Tier of New York, we've had variable weather since the last Bloom Day. Lots of rain (fortunately, our immediate area did not flood although other parts of New York State weren't as fortunate) interspaced with hot (for us) temperatures.
While we are at it, let's also think of those affected by massive floods, record heat, wild fires and other natural disasters in various parts of the world. For example, I know someone whose parents live in France and they have really been suffering.
So what is blooming?
Hibiscus.
Lavender Super Blue, a variety suitable for growing in pots, bought from Select Seeds. Glad and tall phlox. The glads have survived without being dug up since at least 2020
Geranium Apple Blossom Variegata, a plant with variegated leaves, also from Select Seeds.
Perennial sweet pea.
Cuphea Torpedo, from Select Seeds. Not your typical cuphea, I don't think I have to admit I was a little disappointed with how the flowers look in real life and I probably won't purchase it again.Cuphea David Verity. The hummingbirds love this but I haven't seen one hummer this summer (so far).Fuchsia Pink Galore, also from Select Seeds.
Now to the aliums. First, garlic chive (the pink in this photo is from a sweet pea flower).
These next two photos are nodding onion I purchased (in either 2020 or 2021) from a native plants nursery in Ithaca, New York. I like how, at different stages of life, the flowers are pinkish or white, so I decided to post two pictures. You can sort of see purplish pink in the flowers on the right side.
What's not blooming is daylilies. My last daylily (I probably have over 15 varieties) put out its final bloom of the year yesterday. It even looks sad today, knowing it missed GBBD by a day.
Why not head over, if you love flowers, to Carol's blog (link above) and see who else has flowers blooming this Bloom Day?












No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for visiting! Your comments mean a lot to me. Due to a temporary situation, your comments may not post for a day or more-I appreciate your patience.I reserve the right to delete comments if they express hate or profanity, are spam, or contain content not suitable to a family blog.