Monday, August 24, 2026

The Beardless Beard and Other Music #MusicMovesMe

It's Monday and it's time for music!  It's also time for another induction into Rock and Roll Heaven.

Who are the Music Moves Me bloggers?  We are a group of music loving bloggers who blog about music each Sunday or Monday (or even later in the week). If you have music to share with us, you are most welcome to join!  We are brought to you by Cathy of Curious as a Cathy, Stacy of Stacy's Random Thoughts, Marie (Xmas Dolly), and myself, plus other music loving bloggers.  

Why not join us? This is our "you pick" week when we can pick any music we want.

Frank Beard, drummer and only beardless man in the group ZZ Top, died on August 17, 2026.  He was in hospice care, suffering from pneumonia and heart disease at the time of his death.

Beard was not ZZ Top's original drummer, but joined the band after their original drummer (Dan Mitchell) left in 1969.  Unlike the remainder of the band, who were famous for their long beards. Beard only grew a (short) beard for a time in 2013.  Beard, with some brief exceptions due to illness and other reasons, was their drummer until 2025. 

La Grange, released in late 1973, became a hit in 1974. 


 Cheap Sunglasses, from 1979.

Not an induction but a sad moment.  The Hollies officially retired from touring and broke up this past week, with their 80 year old lead guitarist Tony Hicks announcing his retirement due to health reasons.   Their drummer, Bobby Elliot (84) followed shortly after.  The band had been together for some 63 years. 

This is one of my favorite Hollies songs:  Stop Stop Stop with Hicks on banjo and Elliot on drums.  I never realized, until researching this post, that Hicks was playing the banjo and not sitar.

I wanted to include some music I listened to this week on the radio. 

The Babys - Every Time I Think of You, from 1978. This is such a beautifully sung song that I wonder why I don't hear it more.

The Four Tops - Bernadette 

And that's a wrap!

Join me again next week for another episode of Music Moves Me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting! Your comments mean a lot to me. Due to a temporary situation, your comments may not post for a day or more-I appreciate your patience.I reserve the right to delete comments if they express hate or profanity, are spam, or contain content not suitable to a family blog.